Monday, November 13, 2006

Create

My sister gave me this bracelet last night for my birthday and it perfectly declares where my mind is right now.

CREATE!

It is wonderful to have this beautiful affirmation and encouragement around my wrist. I wear it on my right wrist. The one I use to create...fabulous!

I am never going to take it off; I will keep it on to remind me what I do. I am an artist. I create!!


Obviously I never forget what I do, it is just not always easy to do it. Sometimes my creative juices run dry, sometimes I am too tired to work and sometimes, like now, life just gets in the way.

In addition there are times I wonder what it means to be an artist and I get stuck in my mind trying to answer this question. Can I call myself an artist because I have a degree in painting and drawing (by the way, if you want to know what art school is like see Art School Confidential. It is shockingly accurate; it was eerie how spot on it was!!)? Can I claim the title because I have no other job? Do I need to make a certain amount of money? How do I combine art and commerce and should I?? I have had years of incredible good fortune and years (yes years) where I felt like I was just crap at everything.

I think I have arrived at a place where creating, art, is just what I do. It hurts too badly not to. I have things to say that haunt me if I leave them unsaid. Un-created. I am learning that what is important is not where the painting hangs and/or who buys it but the process of making it. The act of creating. I am beginning to realize that if I am true to my vision all the other factors will fall into place. I will earn enough, someone will understand what I am saying, and someone will want my paintings.

The Universe has been very generous with me lately in terms of inspiration. It has filled my head with paintings; they have flown in on raven’s wings. I have one painting all built, stretched, primed, sketched and ready to go. The only problem is that I am leaving in a day ½ for a week, so I won’t be able to paint until after Thanksgiving. It is so unfortunate when inspiration is flowing and life is getting in the way. It is a dilemma that everyone working in a creative field faces from time to time. I realize that is just how it goes but I am finding it increasingly frustrating.
.
So, I can not start the paintings yet but I think I will try to have at least three paintings built, sketched and ready to paint when I get home. That way they can continue to grow in my mind while I am away. When I get home I will be more than ready to jump in and paint!

I feel a period of hibernating with my creations coming on for me and I have to say it is welcome. I am opening my door to inspiration and trusting it to lead me on an interesting journey

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a positive and inspiring piece! I love your b-day bracelet and the meaning that you have attached to it. I love that your perspective on your creating has evolved to such a positive place. Be safe on your trip, and here is to more inspiration.

xoxoxoxo Jen

9:27 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh girlie girl.

I want to rub that bracelet and hold your hand!

You are so inspiring and make me so freakin excited to see those beautiful paintings.

You are my art teacher and mentor now - ok love?

I want to gobble up all of your wonderfullness as I am sure many others do. I have to say again how much I would love it if you thought about a limited edition of prints for sale on etsy, so some of us who are on too tight budgets to buy one of your paintings yet, can purchase a print?

Love you and miss you

5:18 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I often randomly visit blogs and I ended up on yours. When you say "I am opening my door to inspiration and trusting it to lead me on an interesting journey" I say "Amen". I like to stay open to life, not pushing away things I judge to be "bad" (whatever that is) nor grasping at things that are "good" (whatever that is).

I wonder what's around the corner! ;)

Happy birthday! ;)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Happy Birthday! The bracelet is lovely.

I've never even heard of that movie, but now I'm going to have to find it and check it out. (former art major here!)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i can't wait to see what you produce, love. your raven painting blew my mind (i'm with T, you should do some prints, as i'd love to have that one in a frame on my wall..... think about it)... let the muse in and she will have you jumping through her hoops in no time ;-) love you xo

10:05 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i remember seeing these bracelets when you, me and susannah went out shopping in Seattle!!! i saw that one and thought of YOU. yay for your sister for picking up on those same energies and gifting you with some magic around your wrist.

your creations are breath taking. other worldly and i am so honored to have seen them up close and personal.

i look forward to all that comes forth from those talented hands, my dear. you amaze and inspire me...

i love you and miss you LOADS.

xoxoxoxo

9:14 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

You can declare yourself an artist whenever you feel like one--I think there's a real power in the act of speaking it aloud. I know my book deal fell apart--but, I'm still calling myself a writer! Beautiful bracelet...I once knew a woman who tattooed the Chinese character for "create" inside her right wrist for this same reason!

11:26 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

beautiful meaningful bracelet...
it is nice to have a little
reminder
especially one as pretty as that
:)

5:43 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

so good to make this commitment to yourself to create. you have such an amazing, gorgeous talent and i cannot wait to see what you create next.
a beautiful gift as well...

10:08 AM  
Blogger meghan said...

Sweetheart - I can't wait to see your beautiful creations!! I think that the universe knows what it is doing with you!!

LOVE to you!!

P.S. you ARE an aritst - never EVER question that again!!

xoox

8:38 AM  
Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Where are you? You haven't blogged in some time.
Wondering in Marrakesh...

11:42 AM  
Blogger meghan said...

Hey, you! Merry Christmas!!! I have no email right now - how are you?!?!? Wishing you and your gorgeous boys a happy happy holiday!!!

i love you!

7:20 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

DUDE - where ARE YOU?!?!?!? My email still isn't working - LETHA! Come back even just a little bit!!

xoox

11:54 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

we
miss
you
like
mad...

write, write, write...i love reading your words my love.

phone date tomorrow it is.

xoxox

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home