Friday, January 05, 2007

New Year, new beginnings...


I can’t believe it’s January, another new year and a new beginning. I spent the last bit of ’06 in a self-imposed seclusion. Taking a little time to think about the past year, about it’s challenges and it’s lessons (and there were many of both). I needed to pull into myself to gather my thoughts, my strength, nurse my wounds and focus my goals.

Now 2006 is over and as 2007 begins I think it is good to return to blogging with a few things I am grateful for and a few things I have been thinking about.

I am so grateful for my son as always. He is such an amazing individual, so unique and special. We were talking last night about the idea of adopting when we get to Uganda. I asked him how he would feel about adding to our family by inviting a child that had lost his/her parents to join our family. He asked me, “do we get to keep them forever?” I replied, “Yes, forever. They would be in our family just like you are.” He smiled and immediately said, “Oh! I have a great idea! Let’s got one from every continent!” I smiled and said, “Well maybe a little boy from Uganda and a little sister from China”. I love that he is so on-board with the idea of adopting. There is no possessiveness of his family or jealousy about it at all. I am so thankful to have him as my son. It is exciting to watch him develop as a person and to think about what he might do with his life. I wonder what he will accomplish with his combination of high intelligence, huge heart and exposure to the world. The possibilities are endless!

I am grateful to have found an organization to help us navigate the world of “highly capable youngsters and young scholars”. It is almost impossible to find books devoted to the topic. We have blessed to have found an organization that provides community, resources, financial assistance and experts in the field. I am looking forward to deepening our relationship with them throughout the year.

I am suddenly unable to escape the awareness that in a few short months our lives will be changing dramatically. We will be leaving for Africa late this summer. There remain so many decisions to be made, tasks to be done and plans to set in motion. I can hardly believe that seven years of planning is finally behind us and here we are, about to embark on something so monumental. It is so surreal and exciting.

I am a resolution maker and this year I have felt an even stronger pull towards change, towards evolving for the better. It feels like the perfect time to do a little mental house cleaning and cut out even more of the bullshit and the distractions. It is time to really focus on what is real, what matters, what is possible!!!

I think this year may turn out to be among the most important in my life. This is going to be a year full of huge transitions, an unfolding of plans and a deepening of purpose and direction. Embarking on a journey that will lead me to realize another portion of my life’s purpose. I think 2007 is going to be brilliant! I hope it is for everyone else too.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi letha~

i have read your blog for some time and i find it very interesting. i love your art and it's so exciting that you are embarcing on such an adventure; it sounds life changing and fascinating!

i am interested in what group you found for your son?
i too have a very intelligent almost 3 year old and would love to have a resource. my son's name is noah and he sometimes seems like he's 7!

good luck on your journey!!!

peace love light
michele~
satori17@yahoo.com

5:07 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

what a source of light your son is letha. he is incredible!

i can't wait to see what unfolds for you this year. you are on an amazing journey...

and i can just hear your voice saying that you think 2007 is going to be brilliant! yes! i love this.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it will be brilliant for you. Glad you are back.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

happy new year letha :)

your words, as always, are radiant.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Robert Vandenbego
Madrid, Spain
www.begomadrid.blogspot.com

1:05 PM  
Blogger Frida World said...

What an extraordinary year you have ahead. I found your blog late last year and have been looking froward to see where you were at - how you are feeling about this adventure and challenge.

Lovely to have to back!

PS: I am living and working in Afghanistan at the moment and have thought a little bit about adoption. In the meantime my partner and I have found joy making donations to the orphanage.

8:24 AM  
Blogger meghan said...

Hey you, I am so glad that you are back writing - I've missed you!!!

I get all tingly thinking about your year ahead and all that is to come for your family! What a gift Dace is and how wonderful that he gets to have usch an unusual life with such great parents. I'll be holding your hand (from here) every step of the way if you need it!!

LOVE you!!

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! You have been missed. What a wonderful and inspiring post...everything from the greatness that is your little man to your upcoming move. I hope that all of the planning and transitions go smoothly and that your year is truly amazing. It will be an amazing journey, both literally, as well as emotionally and spiritually. There is so much to look forward to.

Happy New Year!!!!!!

xoxoxoxo

11:19 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

yes my love...2007 is going to be brilliant indeed.

i love you and loved our phone date. one of the best dates i've had in a long time. hee hee.

your son is an angel on earth. an example to many.

xoxoxo

6:41 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Power girl.

I hope I get to meet your son someday soon, for longer than a fleeting moment:)

He is so wise and open-you are such a great mommy my dear.

I feel the power here-in you-this year is going to be filled with so much-I am excited to watch it unfold.

Love you!

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home